So here is where I am after the concept panel…
I tried to create alternative scenes for the grumble scenes, going for different angles etc.
I was trying to make it less complicate and flat whilst trying to keep movement and flow. I soon found that I was beginning to get worried about trying to get it perfect straight away and just came to a blank with ideas. This is when I decided to change the scene I was going to create ideas for.
I started to develop the Jay scene where it reminisces about the time it heard a similar noise when collecting food. I feel I can generate many alternative scenes but when it comes to enlarging them, the scene loses movement. Here is one of the drawings I drew up to scale, I am not using fine line in my final images but this is a rough layout on thin paper and so I decided to use a fine line to outline the drawing so I can easily trace it if need be.
I drew two other layouts but in pencil and took it to my tutorial. When talking to my tutor, she commented on how flat and rigid they are still when enlarged and that it has lost movement in the scene, looks more like freeze frames. At first I was disappointed because I wanted to hear that I have nailed it, sorted the issue out but clearly I haven’t and to be fair I agree but just didn’t want to hear it. My tutor commented how the thumbnails have captured the movement and it’s the transition of scaling it larger causes the movement to be lost. I didn’t know what to do but as she explained I understood what was causing the issue and how I could address it. One idea was to create the larger scenes in roughly the same time as the thumbnails and so I’m not over thinking the layout.
Another idea was to create the exact line from the thumbnail onto the larger scene and to not stiffen lines up e.g. the photos on the right side page in the thumbnail were freehand and not straight, as soon as I drew it larger I got my ruler out which caused them to become flat.
An alternative idea to combat the problem is to draw these scenes A5 roughly and then just scan them in on a high dpi to blow them to the scale I want. As I’m able to create movement in the small sketches, I should stick to drawing fairly small and quick and then enlarge them.
Other suggestions towards my work were:
- Create a couple of alternative scenes/layouts for each double page spreads
- When painting the scenes, don’t try and finish each scene at once. Start to paint one and then move onto another, swapping around creates movement I want in the scenes instead of rushing to get one finished and losing the fun in the scene.
Regarding the story, I was originally going to include an insect to create a variety of height and range of animals in the book. I then changed that to a newt as I thought I could have a different scene which would be underwater. However, after the tutorial it was decided that it would be best not to go underwater as this could affect the whole atmosphere of the book which is predominantly woodland and warmth. I was trying to fit too much in.
It was questioned, do I actually need the fourth character? Does it bring anything to the story? My tutor commented on how the squirrel will be known by children but the other two animals, the jay and the weasel, may not be as well as known. It brings an element of educational value as it introduces the idea to children there are more animals who live in the woods that aren’t originally seen. Also just using the Jay which is shown high in the trees and the weasel which moves along the ground still gives me a range of movement in the forest. Also it frees up a couple of double page spreads which allows more room for the noises to be explored.
So as you can see I have plenty of work to get on with and so I will be trying out the methods as previously mentioned. Hopefully by using them I will be able to inject some movement allowing me to move onto adding colour and life to images.